“In many ways, just as Amazon has reinvented the book publishing space, YouTube has reinvented the video production and distribution space.” –Jason Miles, YouTube Marketing Power
Twenty-fourteen is the year I finally add video into my content mix. Because YouTube is changing everything, and I want to be relevant in that conversation. So it was perfect timing that I received the opportunity to review YouTube Marketing Power: How to Use Video to Find More Prospects, Launch Your Products, and Reach a Massive Audience.
Author Jason Miles is serious about not just showing readers the “why” of YouTube marketing but also the “how to.” The book has five key sections covering the business benefits, identifying your best video strategy and format, setting up your YouTube channel, social strategies, and revenue generation.
Miles identifies 24 business reasons to include YouTube in your marketing strategy. The benefits fall into a number of categories, including:
- Referral Traffic (from your videos and from your YouTube channel)
- Search Engine Optimization (videos = more quality content)
- Video Search Optimization (YouTube is the second most popular search engine)
- Engagement (YouTube offer another place for customers and prospects to interact with you)
- Social Sharing (amplifying your reach)
- Selling Goods and Services (e.g., product demonstrations, customer testimonials)
- Branding (positioning yourself and/or your product)
It’s not just about YouTube.
I’m a “words” person. I tend to absorb information far more from reading than from watching. Other people, of course, are more likely to watch a video than scroll through the instructions. So your business needs to account for the many different ways that people consume information.
You might assume YouTube Marketing Power is all about YouTube–but you would be wrong. It’s really about how to add a video strategy into your marketing mix. What made the book so valuable to me is the discussion about videos types and the tips about video making and video editing. While YouTube Marketing Power is not a book for the video pro, it is a business book for the rest of us.
*Disclosure: I received a preview copy of YouTube Marketing Power in exchange for agreeing to review it–but without any restrictions on what I might say.